ALIVE Rescue is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, founded in March 2008 as a rescue and safe haven for animals. From March 2008 through November of 2012, we ran operations solely through the use of our foster homes.
In November of 2011, we signed a lease for a building (“the Little Barn”) in the Roscoe Village neighborhood of Chicago. For nearly one and a half years, we rehabbed and re-designed the original structure, preparing it to become our first adoption center. On May 5th, 2013, we opened The Little Barn, celebrating this accomplishment with dozens of our donors, volunteers, and the animals we rescued.
Our Core Values
We believe that our responsibility is first to the animals that are in local open-access shelters with a high probability of being euthanized. We primarily take in animals from shelters with high euthanasia rates in Chicago and the surrounding area. We follow through on our commitment that every animal deserves a full life by choosing to take in animals that other adoption organizations may overlook, including seniors, unpopular breeds, and pets with special needs.
Our Mission Statement
ALIVE Rescue is an animal rescue that protects the lives and the rights of animals. We believe every animal has the right to a well-balanced, socialized and fulfilled life. We take on the responsibility to save, rehabilitate and place abandoned, abused and stray animals. We provide medical, behavioral and physical support for animals despite their age, health and/or breed. ALIVE Rescue promotes sustainable living and care giving by building awareness, appreciation and respect for all animals and the environment within our communities.
At ALIVE Rescue, we promote sustainable living and care-giving in our communities by building awareness, appreciation and respect for all animals and the environment. We work to educate the public on current animal issues, including the benefits of spaying/neutering pets. We believe a planet with healthy, happy animals benefits all of us in terms of resources and contributing to our spiritual and physical well-being.
At Foster Homes
- All dog foster homes are supplied with bio-degradable poop bags.
- All cat foster homes are supplied with eco-friendly cat litter.
- All eating utensils are bio-degradable or re-usable.
- Recycling bins are set up at all events.
- We only serve vegetarian and vegan dishes. Did you know factory farming is a main contributor to global warming?
- Our gift bags are re-usable canvas bags or 100% recycled paper bags.
At the Little Barn
- We purchase only environmentally-friendly and/or recyclable materials, from cleaners to dog toys.
- The animals in our care receive only high-quality food to promote their health and reduce waste. We only feed pet foods without fillers and with all-natural ingredients.
- All appliances are energy-efficient.
- We recycle all paper waste.
- We use a paperless fax number that works through e-mail.
More Ways We’re Green
- ALIVE’s marketing material is printed on recycled paper using vegetable based ink.
- ALIVE’s adoption and foster application process is completely paperless. Applicants complete the application on ALIVE Rescue’s website. Once submitted, the application is e-mailed to our adoption coordinators and also archived in our software program.